Potty training is in full swing at the Bardsley house. For the most part, I think it has gone really well. Grace is really motivated and loves going to the bathroom in her "Grace potty." I feel like a pretty lucky momma in almost all respects. Except...as evidenced in almost all other aspects of her life, Grace has a great talent for working the system. You'd think there wouldn't be a system to "work" with potty training.
There is.
Grace uses her bowel movements as a way of joyously yanking her mother around on a chain. She KNOWS that if she tells me she has to go potty, I won't refuse her. So, if I'm not paying enough attention to her I hear, "I have to poop! Poop in the potty!" Or, should she not feel like going to bed when I put her down, she shouts to high heaven that she needs to pee. Again, and again, and again.
And, like a sucker, I bend to her every whim--because I don't want to kill her enthusiasm or make her think that it's okay if she just goes in her diaper sometimes. So, FREQUENTLY we rush to the potty and she gleefully sits on the toilet, smiles up at me, and does...NOTHING.
Now, once again, I'm happy that she likes going. I realize it could be much worse. But I hate that she has found the golden request. The exception to every rule. The ultimate tool of toddler manipulation.
Would it really be that big of a deal if she stayed in diapers the rest of her life? I mean, really.
9 comments:
Oh I love it! So what methods are you using? Treats, rewards, stickers? We're starting on Monday. Any last minute advice?
Good Luck my dear. Try using a system. Some kids pee their pants once and never want to again. Feel free to call if you are frustrated.
Oh so been there and still doing that! Now she just refuses to use her potty because she gets mommy all to herself when I have to clean up messes...
Grace the Manipulator. Too cute. At least she wants to use the toilet. I think that's more than most kids. You will have to give me tips in a year or so when we start doing that. Yikes.
That's totally how Faith was/is. Naps and quiet time pretty much stopped with being potty trained because now she has an excuse for coming out. And bedtime is ridiculous because she goes potty like 3 times before staying in bed. And I'm with you, I don't like telling her she can't even if she just went because what if she really does have to? It's so frustrating. But, yea for Grace! Such a big girl!
Hey, love the blog! I'm stalking you. I see we got a shout out with our pail and shovel for Grace :)
I'm laughing at this post now, but I'll be suffering through it some day.
Oh, if only they would just stay in diapers. Is walking around in your own filth really so bad? (Ew, I shuddered even typing that.)
I am so excited to hear about DC! And an update on the potty training!
The South is Sam's weakness as well! I guess your family didn't vacation there? I have no idea how I will ever cross North Dakota off my list. It will probably be a trip there just for the purpose of crossing it off. Our good friends are moving to Wisconsin when they graduate so we will hopefully go visit them there sometime!
Post a Comment