This past fall, Spencer, Grace and I were wandering about through a local, outdoor Arts Festival. As we walked, we talked about which of the arts displayed we could see ourselves really getting into. I chose jewelry making, mostly because I love earrings and saw it as an "easy" way to accumulate LOTS of them.
Spencer chose glass-blowing. He's always thinking big. Watch out, Chihuly.
Once this lovely, little stroll down artsy-lane came to a close, I thought very little about our conversation. I thought a lot about starting up new hobbies, but kept all of them theoretical. I'm really good at having theoretical hobbies. In my mind, I'm quite the seamstress. :) And, periodically, I do a fantastic job of refinishing imaginary furniture.
Spencer, strangely enough, thinks theoretical hobbies are silly.
Now, if you looked up supportive in the dictionary, no doubt you'd find a little, smiling picture of Spencer sitting next to it. Spencer thinks I can do anything. I can't, mind you, but because I know that Spencer thinks I can, sometimes I dare to dream. That is, stop dreaming and turn my theoretical hobbies into reality. :)
For Christmas, Spencer surprised me with a simple jewelry making kit and a few beads to begin with. The part I like best, however, is that he sat with me for the better part of Christmas afternoon and helped me make my first creation:
And I'll have you know, I've already made at least three more fantastic pairs of earrings in my head.
And, as if that wasn't enough, check out this beauty that came to live with me on my birthday:
How many people can say that they have a hand-crafted, literal jewelry tree? Far too few, I tell you. Far too few.
That Spencer; he's done it again.
8 comments:
Cute!
I love your writing and I love your art. Spencer's isn't half bad either. You guys are so cute.
OH Anna I wish we lived near each other. We could hang out and dream of our theoretical hobbies together.
You always make me laugh. I'm glad you found a hobby you enjoy. I hope you had a happy birthday too!
You're good enough at your actual hobbies that you must be amazing at all your theoretical ones! Love the jewelry and the tree. :-)
I tried my hand at jewelry making once. Your jewelry is beautiful. I love your tree. You and Spencer make quite a talented pair! :)
That necklace is really cute! Ellie's comment cracks me up, and I agree.
Wait, how did I miss this post?! I LOVE it. The necklace is adorable and those earrings are amazing! Nice work Crafty Anna. ;)
And Spencer's tree is pretty darn cool. You two...
Post a Comment