Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Time Well Spent?

During college, I occasionally (or not so occasionally...depending on the day) wondered what it would be like to have free time again. To approach a Saturday without stressing about the papers I should be writing or the text books I should be reading. To start an evening without an overflowing "to-do" list lurking behind my every action.
Now, please don't think that I never dinked away time in college. I did. Frequently. But for the most part, I was a very studious scholar. I worried obsessively about my grades and might have been known to have the irrational break down or two from time to time. Or three. Or four. You get the idea.
Even when I had "time" to play, I would sometimes think about what was looming on the homework horizon. I didn't always enjoy my discretionary time for worrying about how I could have spent it better.
Fast forward two years: I have graduated from college and am now a stay-at-home mom. And, surprisingly enough, I have a lot of discretionary time. Granted, I only have one child at this point and she's barreling her way towards the two year mark. Meaning, I've pretty much got her figured out.
Ha. No, I haven't. But we have a pretty predictable schedule and I know that I can count on two to three hours of nap per day and a child-free evening that begins around 7:30 p.m. And...since Spencer (as of yesterday) now gets home between 9:30 and 10:00 every night (and has had that schedule somewhat frequently for the past year), I definitely have a good amount of time to myself.
So, this begs the question, how am I spending this time? I was thinking about this a lot today. This is kind of a unique period in my life. As more kids enter the equation, things are obviously going to change. My nap-time respite will disappear and as more kids and more life experience lands on my plate, things will only get more complicated. Right now, I have a relatively low work load compared to what is to come.
Now, I always have to remind myself that I do have some things on my schedule. I'm the Cubmaster for my ward (and two others...stop laughing...), I try to be a good visiting teacher and friend, I take Grace on lots of outings and am trying to teach her and encourage growth, I have uneven spurts of sociality ( :) ), I exercise regularly, and I get together with my sister and her kids frequently. Not to mention all the things that Spencer and I do together and those unexpected bouts of inexplicable busy-ness that come along every now and again. I work hard to keep my home clean and my daughter and husband fed and groomed. (and the grooming reference to Spencer is not a typo...I'm pretty sure he'd gleefully never shave if I allowed it... :) ) I really never lack for something to do.
But...the fact of the matter is that I can't remember the last time (before two years ago...) that I was able to decide how to spend so much of my time. No one supervises me, I don't really have anyone to account to, and I have few (if any) deadlines. I am completely in charge. :) Well, as "in-charge" as any mother of an almost two year old can be. :)
And how have I spent my non-Grace/non-Spencer time? Honestly, mostly reading. I read A LOT. Excessively? Perhaps. To be honest, I read books like I eat candy: once I start, I just can't stop. :) Thanks to Goodreads, I think that I could somewhat accurately put my "books-I-have-read-since-graduating-from-college-and-having-Grace" total at 77--though that's kind of a low-ball estimate. That's roughly 3.2 books per month. These books have ranged from the scriptures, to parenting books, to novels, to non-fiction, to biographies, to anything and everything that sounds good and is available at the local library. :)
I do other things (I promise!), but I would definitely say that reading occupies the majority of my free time.
And I'm okay with that.
But I'm open to suggestions. How do you spend your free time?

9 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm in the EXACT same boat - for the next 6 weeks or so. But no, I have had this very similar schedule for AWHILE. Lately I find myself researching positive birth stories and whatnot which basically means I waste a lot of my free time on the computer. But I go through phases. For quite a few months I sew during naptime/bedtime, then I get tired of that and read a lot, then after a few months I get tired of that and I research birth (and you know why). So is my time well spent? The majority I'd say yes, but I have a LOT to work on regarding filling my time with good things versus the best. :)

acandiedapple said...

I generally sew, read, clean or waste time online. We are at an interesting part of our lives where we have possibly the most free time we'll ever have. I'm so enjoying it! :)

Sabrina said...

I read in my down time too. Actually, I do too much reading and not enough organizing / cleaning probably. However, I do have some sewing and quilting projects too. I rarely finish though and start reading something instead. It must be a disease.

Merkley Jiating said...

Reading and blogging. I read way too many blogs.

If I cut my hair and don't like it, I am going to blame you! Just kidding. But I do think I will cut it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Keith Family said...

Believe me that this free time will come to a very abrupt end! If If I had any ( more than the occasional 5-10 min.) I would make more crafts, read more, sew more, jog more, make healthier snacks, do my hair, take a nap, comment on your blog or call you more than once every 6 months.... you get the idea. sure miss you guys.

Bryan and Ellie said...

Do I dare say napping and, occasionally, obsessing over stupid stuff? :-)

Kristin said...

I'm jealous. I say enjoy every minute! Perhaps you should learn something new. Have you ever knitted? You could take on a Julie and Julia type challenge or something like that.

Rachel and Todd said...

Free time? What's that? J/K. I've been reading The Help. If you haven't read it, you have to. But, I, like most other moms, clean, spend time online, read, redecorate/home improvement stuff, prepare lessons, etc. I don't think I have enough free time to pick up new hobbies, but maybe if I really wanted to I'd . . . I'm not sure.

I finally have you on my blog list of friends! Sheesh it has taken me a while. I think you're great! I'm glad I'll more frequently read about/see your family and happenings. You are such a fantastic mom.

Merkley Jiating said...

My mom and I were on a game show in Branson, Missouri. We won tickets to different performances and go-kart tickets. It was really fun.

I will post more pictures of the funeral once I edit them. There are some beautiful ones.